FAQ Honevo Acne
Yes. In an initial pilot study 18/22 participants (82%) reported an improvement in their acne and around half stated it was much improved. Almost all participants reported a reduction in the number of acne lesions after 2 weeks. 21/22 (95%) said that they would recommend the treatment to others and 19/22 (86%) said they would use it again.
In a large study of 135 people with acne, assessments by researchers found twice as many of the participants had an improvement with Honevo® compared to participants who only used antibacterial soap. The study found improvements in acne severity, lesion count, and dermatology quality of life. Participants reported improvements in acne after 2 weeks, with further improvements over the following 6-10 weeks. These results were presented at the New Zealand Dermatological Society Annual Meeting in 2015.
In the study, improvements were seen within 2 weeks.
Honevo® should be used until symptoms have disappeared, and restarted if symptoms reappear.
Some over-the-counter acne treatments contain high levels of bleach-like chemicals which can kill bacteria, but also damage the skin. Honevo® however can kill the bacteria but is also actually good for the skin. Many people with acne have antibiotics prescribed for them, but as well as potentially causing side effects, long-term antibiotics can contribute to antibiotic resistance, which the World Health Organization has declared to be a threat to global health security.
Honevo® is applied just to the spots, or as a mask over the affected part of the face, twice a day and then is easily washed off with warm water. It should be applied for at least 15 minutes twice a day, but the longer it is applied the better the results are likely to be – it can be applied for several hours at a time if that is convenient. As well as treating acne, it is an excellent moisturizer.
There are 3 main reasons:
1. All honeys have different properties, and only the Honevo® formulation has been proven in clinical studies to be an effective treatment for acne.
2.Honevo® is medical-grade (see below for why this is important).
3. Honevo® contains a small amount of another natural product, glycerine, which improves its physical characteristics, making it less sticky than regular honey. It is also far more temperature stable and remains consistently fluid when warm or cold.
Share details about your shipping policies, item returns, or customer service.The study was undertaken independently by the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, who are based in Wellington and led by Professor Richard Beasley. Some patients on the studies were seen by MRINZ staff, but mostly by General Practitioners in Tauranga and Auckland. In addition, the study protocol was peer-reviewed by a New Zealand dermatologist and also the world-famous Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, USA.
The research was funded by HoneyLab.
Honey is classified according to its floral source and it can either be monofloral, if it is made predominantly from the nectar of one type of flower, or multifloral. Honevo® is created from kanuka honey which is sourced from hives that are located in dense kanuka plantations.
All honeys have different properties. We use kanuka as we found that it has very high antibacterial activity compared to other honeys. Kanuka honey also has anti-inflammatory properties whereas manuka and others do not.
Acne is caused by bacteria. We know that Honevo® kills bacteria. It also reduces inflammation and Honevo® helps to heal wounds, and every spot and pimple is a small wound. Honey has a number of physicochemical characteristics which give it unique properties that are responsible for its effectiveness in treating some medical conditions:
• Osmotic effect – honey is a concentrated sugar solution predominantly consisting of fructose and glucose. Few water molecules are available for micro-organisms and therefore it is a poor environment for their growth.
• Hydrogen peroxide – this is slowly released when the honey comes into contact with body fluids and has antiseptic properties.Acidity – honey is very acidic with a pH of 3.2 to 4.5, is as acidic as some vinegars, which also makes micro-organism growth difficult.
• Antioxidants – it contains bioflavonoids and other antioxidants which may contribute to its activity.
Share details about your shipping policies, item returns, or customer service.Honey applied to the skin should be “medical-grade”, also known as “pharmaceutical-grade”. Application of untreated or raw honey often causes local inflammation which can be quite severe, as it often contains many impurities from bees and hives; it literally contains “bees knees”. Medical-grade honey is made by purifying and sterilizing raw honey in a two-step process involving super-filtration and pasteurization.
A 50ml tube will last for several weeks, depending on the extent of the acne.